Trying to eat healthy and missing some of your favorite comfort foods? Like Macaroni and Cheese? This base of this dish is cauliflower and squash and amazing flavor is added with the caramelized onions. Everyone will be asking for seconds.
Cauliflower-Squash Mac and Cheese
- 3 cup dried pasta we prefer jovial
- 2 cups butternut squash
- 2 cups cauliflower
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1/2 tbsp of butter
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp mustard
- 1 cup favorite cheese we prefer raw cheddar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pasta as instructed on packaging. Set aside.
- Steam or roast squash and cauliflower
- Chop onion into rings
- Place butter in skillet, once melted, add onions on low heat. This is the longest process of the whole recipe. Let the onions caramelize, stirring occasionally. This will add great flavor to the dish.
- Place the squash, cauliflower and onions in a blender or food processor and puree
- Add vegetable broth and mustard spice
- Season with salt and pepper
- Add pasta, squash/cauliflower mixture and cheese to a large bowl, mix.
- Place mixture in a baking dish
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes