Are you eating a real breakfast?
I am a true believer that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. As a child my favorite breakfast was a large bowl full of Fruity Pebbles……or Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Don’t the commercials say that they are part of a healthy breakfast? Today we no longer eat boxed cereal in our home. Having cereal for breakfast was so easy but we noticed that we were always hungry just a short time after breakfast and we wanted something less processed.
We love eggs and eat them every single day. As a family we go through over 2 dozen pasture raised eggs from our local farm each week. We enjoy them a variety of ways and one of our favorites is with sweet potato hash.
Sweet Potato Hash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil butter, or ghee
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and diced
- ¼ cup onion diced
- 3-4 cups chopped kale that has been rinsed
- 2-3 pieces of cooked bacon chopped optional
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms chopped optional
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Melt the oil/butter/ ghee over medium heat
- Add the sweet potatoes into skillet
- Continue to stir the sweet potatoes and after about 10 mins, add onions. Continue to stir over med heat
- When potatoes are slightly tender, place kale on top of potatoes in pan. The moisture from the rinsed kale will create a steam and will help cook the kale
- Stir in kale and allow to wilt slightly
- Add bacon (optional)
- Add mushrooms (optional)
- Season with salt and pepper
The sweet potato hash can be stored in the fridge. Just warm a little olive oil in a skillet and re-heat on the stove. So double the batch and have part of your breakfast prepped ahead of your busy mornings.
This breakfast is nutrient packed with sweet potatoes & kale and made even better when topped with eggs.
What is your favorite way to start your day? Share your breakfast recipes!