I Didn’t Eat a Salad for 4 Years!
Can you still have a healthy diet if you don’t eat salads? Here I sit eating a salad for breakfast-yep, breakfast but I remember a time not too long ago when salads were not an option for me.
We are all told by our doctors to eat healthier and many of use immediately think of salads. When I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis back in 2011, that is exactly what I did …I started eating more salads–what I thought was healthy for me–boy was I wrong! I didn’t start to notice the connection between raw leafy greens and my digestion until I started writing it down. So I started to cut them out and it began to help.
Okay, so maybe you don’t have a health concern that requires you to ditch salads but maybe you just don’t like them. Well, either way it doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be eating our leafy greens, right? Here are some ways you can get your veggies into your diet without sitting down to salad.
How to Eat Healthy Without Eating Salads
- Vegetable Smoothies–my favorite is about 3 cups spinach (or your favorite leafy green), a frozen banana, about a cup of almond milk, and some cinnamon. Simple and tastes amazing!
- Sauteed greens with garlic
- Vegetable Soups- make your favorite soup and add some leafy greens near the end of cooking
- Vegetable Pizza- add some leafy greens to your pizza before baking
- Vegetable Egg Bake or Scramble-add your leafy greens to an egg bake or saute them into your
- morning eggs
- Vegetable Pesto-substitute some kale or spinach for part of the basil and enjoy your greens
- Bake Vegetables-kale chips anyone?
Now that you have some ideas on what to do with your raw leafy greens, there is no excuse for them not being part of your diet. What has been your favorite way to enjoy your leafy greens?