Do you look forward to a mint shake every March? Several years ago I was working in a corporate office that was located next door to a McDonalds and we would pick someone to make a shake run…probably a little too often. I can’t even imagine how artificial one of those would taste today. Instead we make ours at home and love every sip.
According to the McDonalds website, in a small shamrock shake there are 65 grams of sugar. This is more than double the daily recommended amount of sugar for an adult from the American Heart Association. Crazy! And if you decide to go for the new chocolate shamrock shake….add 5 more grams.
Some of the ingredients include: High fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, carrageenan, Yellow 5, Blue 1, xanthan gum, guar gum….just to name a few.
Yep, doesn’t sound too delicious, does it?
Now it is the time to make one in your own kitchen.
Healthy Shamrock Shake
- 1 cup spinach firmly packed
- ½ cup almond milk use up to 1/3 cup to desired consistency
- ½ cup ice
- 1 sliced banana frozen
- 4 to 7 fresh mint leaves depending on size
Coconut Cream Topping (optional)
- Best if made ahead
- 1 can coconut cream or milk that has been refrigerated overnight
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Chocolate Sauce Topping (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cacao or cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Place all of the ingredients in a blender.
- Blend until combined. Add the additional almond milk if needed.
- Add you favorite toppings and drink immediately.
Coconut Cream Topping
- If using a can of coconut cream, scoop contents into a bowl. If using a can of coconut milk, scoop out the cream and add to the bowl.
- Add the vanilla
- Blend with an immersion blender
- Place in the fridge for a thicker cream
- This recipe will make enough for additional shakes or even try on top of your favorite fruit. Store in the refrigerator
- Place the cacao or cocoa powder in a small bowl
- Add the syrup
- Wisk together
- This recipe will make enough for additional shakes or even mix with your favorite milk for a delicious treat. Store in the refrigerator
Are you ready to try it?