If you have never tried pumpkin chili, you are missing out! This is a recipe filled with a little spice and then a little sweetness from the pumpkin. They blend perfectly for a delicious dish. And the best part is that no dairy is needed to get a thicker, creamer consistency.
Grab a bowl and enjoy a fall favorite. You can make it on the stovetop or put all the ingredients together and let is simmer in the crockpot.
Best when served with a little sliced avocado.
Here is what you need
- 2 chicken breasts or about 2-3 cups leftover chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 -15 oz cans or approx. 4 cups of great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1- 15 oz can or approx. 2 cups garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups broth or 1 -15 oz can of your favorite
- 2-4 oz cans chopped green chilies
- 1- 2 cups of pumpkin puree or 1-15 oz can
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-2 avocados
- Cook the chicken in a skillet over medium heat, cut into chunks and set aside.
- Place olive oil in large pot (will be used for all of the ingredients unless using a crockpot)
- Sauté the onions for about 5 mins
- Add the broth, beans, chilies, garlic, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper and black pepper to the pot
- Add the cooked chicken
- Allow to simmer for approx. 15 mins
- Slice avocado for topping (optional)
Having a party? No worries, it is easy to double and triple this recipe. The crazy part is that your guests may not know that they are eating pumpkin but they certainly won’t complain about getting all of the benefits.
Chili is a great fall recipe. What is one thing you look forward to eating during the fall season?